Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush! OR Who do I punch first? The monkey or the weasel??

Thankyou to all of you that commented on my last post about Thing One's return to the nest. I was, and AM, very happy to have him home again and feeling better.

This week we attended a follow-up appointment with Dr. Brain. Which? Left me nothing but frustrated. I canNOT keep pulling out my hair, there will truly be nothing left.

While Thing One was in paeds psych, he was under the care of a different child psychologist. We'll call him "The Monkey". On the weekends, we were cared for by the original Dr. Brain (The Weasel). I do not have a great history of confidence with The Weasel. She has a very poor bedside manner to say the least (which is NOT good when you're dealing with sensitive mental health issues and their impacts on families). In my first appointment she actually commented "OH, I see..." and nodded emphatically when she discovered that I was a single mother. As if that answered everything, as if attending "positive parenting" classes would be enough to cure my son from his issues.

(Which I did attend, to appease her, but I'm still unsure why I felt the need to prove my parenting prowess....)

Over the last year we've changed meds, diagnosis and opinions. I've been questioned, turned inside out, disbelieved and dismissed. During Thing One's observation period in hospital, Dr. Monkey was quite distressed about the Prozac factor and quickly took him off the drug. He maintained the Seroquel (and still does), and after two weeks of leeching this from his system, the symptoms of psychosis abated.

It is my understanding from Dr. Monkey, that Prozac was the culprit, and that it can happen in children, and has. I did some layman research myself and found the same results. Yesterday, after a week has gone by since Thing One was released, we visited Dr. Weasel, who began the appointment by asking me what the result was from the hospital. Apparently SHE hasn't recieved the report from Dr. Weasel just yet.

Then, she looked at me like I had four heads and calmly told me there are NO case studies showing Prozac to cause symptoms of psychosis and she has no idea what Dr. Monkey is talking about. She was so adamant she insisted that if we were to accept that reasoning, then we should be WRITING A CASE STUDY on my son's experiences since its NEVER happened before.

Colour me confused.

We discussed the recurrence of Thing One's mood swings, temper and aggression (something that abated during his Prozac course and has now reappeared since we've removed the drug). Despite that being true, she now thinks that it's not anxiety that's causing the behaviour changes but the need for limits in the family. (HOLY FREAKIN CRAP BATMAN. I've been down this road...) So now, we are back to serving up the latest token economy to cease Thing One from hitting his sister when he's mad 83 times a day. Which? Doesn't work.

Know why?

I set limits. Have ALWAYS set limits. Have tried the token economy, it fails in the face of a child who cannot control wild emotional response. In fact, in some cases it actually exacerbated his issues, as he began worrying about his performance and chance for rewards. Which makes him anxious. Which makes him volatile. Which leads to explosive behaviour... it's round and round we go.

So, like I said before, WTF? Who do we believe, and WHAT do we do now? Thing One is WAY unregulated and both Doctors can't see eye to eye on anything.

Who do I punch first?

3 comments:

Chibi Jeebs said...

Holy Christ on a bike! How on earth are you supposed to know who to believe - who to trust - when you're getting such conflicting answers?!? GAH!

Is another doctor an option? And I know s/he certainly can't diagnose, but have you asked your pharmacist about the Prozac? Just for a (mostly) unbiased third opinion?

I'm so frustrated FOR you. I don't understand why it has to be such a freaking run-around with doctors nowadays.

shortygurl2shy said...

I would punch Dr. Weasel First just because I think she could use a little shake to her head!
Then I would punch Dr. Monkey cause he obviously has not relayed his findings to Dr. Weasel.

Like WTF does it take for them to work together to HELP a child?????
and really if Dr. Weasel is actually a Doctor would she not know that Prozac causes these symptoms in children? bahhhh


Can i help with the punching??? let me know I'm there!

Amy LeForge said...

Okay, I guess this makes me old, but I remember all the bad press Prozac got back in the late 80's over possibly causing all sorts of problems. As soon as you mentioned it in the last post I was a bit surprised that anyone would ever prescribe it for a child. Then I felt old because it was such a big deal back then. You know....20-odd years ago. :)

How in heck do the docs not know this stuff?? Just Google prozac psychosis and there are plenty of examples. Case study? Ridiculous.

I'm glad he's off it, and soooo glad that there was a reasonable cause that could be addressed.